—Links go live when reviews become available.—
FILM, VIDEO, POETRY, ART:
- Amadeus: The Irony of Director’s Cuts
- Anthony Bourdain’s “Manila”
- Green Book … and other Oscar winner’s that don’t hold up
- Memories from the Mountains: A Field Museum exhibit
- The Darjeeling Limited: Do We Get India?
- Django Unchained: Revenge Fantasies and Realities
- A Few Good Men: Tom Cruise, Set-up Man
- The Five-Year Engagement: Just Believe!
- The Freshman: All in the Family?
- The Godfather: Fate and Style
- Michelle, Gaby, and Good Hair
- I’m Your Man: Canonizing Leonard Cohen
- It’s A Wonderful Life: Home Ownership in America
- Lake Tahoe: The Style of Absence
- Lincoln: Common Notions
- The Minority Report: The Allure of Phillip K. Dick
- The Minority Report: Spielberg’s Cartoon Style
- The Public
- Monsoon Wedding: Civilization and Its Discontents
- on the edge: How Hurt Grows into Homelessness
- The Return: Silence from Kosovo
- Rubber, The Movie
- Sedona, the Movie: Auras! Vortexes! Oh, My!
- Slumdog Millionaire: Homlessness and Fantasy in India and the U.S.
- Thaddeus and Slocum: A Vaudeville Adventure
- Think Like a Man
- Voices: A Film from Bahrain ***
- Ray Charles Radio on Pandora
…and the following—not reviews, but real “movie moments” for me:
*** Learn about THE FALL FESTIVAL OF INDEPENDENT FILM, where this film was shown in 2013.
- “Authentic” World Music
- Ray Charles—VIDEO SERIES “Me and Brother Ray”
- Ray Charles—The Genius Hits the Road: Escaping the South?
- Ray Charles—A Message from the People: Reverse Integrations
- Bob Dylan’s Newest Medal
- Filipinos in the Land of the Hyper-real
- “Mona Lisa:” Nat Cole’s Subversions
- “Mustang Sally:” Why It’s Harder and Harder to Catch a Ride
- Kevin Andrew Prchal: New Songs with Deep, Old Echoes
- Three Story Sandbox
- Un-blue Jazz: Remembering Dave Brubeck
- The Black Chicago Renaissance, edited by Darlene Clark Hine and John McCluskey, Jr.
- Crossing the Line: Taking Steps to End Homelessness by Diane Nilan
- The Death of Bernadette Left-Hand by Ron Querry
- The Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Playing in the Dark by Toni Morrison
- Racing Across the Lines: Changing Race Relationships Through Friendship by Deborah Plummer
- Rising Up from Indian Country: The Battle of Fort Dearborn and the Birth of Chicago by Ann Durkin Keating
- We Are Everywhere: Narratives from Rhodesian Guerillas by Michael Raeburn
- Red Wolves and Black Bears by Edward Hoagland